December 7, 2009

What a day...

Sometimes I'm a man of God...sometimes I'm just all right. That is part of a song by Audio Adrenaline called "Man of God". I try and be a great dad, husband, friend, pastor...but sometimes I get caught in what Paul writes in Romans..."We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law..." (Romans 7:14-15, 21-22)

This morning I was short and impatient with the girls before school. I have battles before school. When I do this I feel so small and insignificant. I go through the rest of the day knowing that I can be so much better than that. The worst part is...I have to wait until the end of the school day to say I'm sorry and try and do better.

I write this for a couple reasons...1) Therapy. It's good for me to get my thoughts and feelings out there. It helps me with the repentance process. 2) I know I'm not alone. I know this because I have ministered to hundreds of kids over the years and realize that parents play a major role in their kids behavior. Expectations that parents have for their children, as well as the environment that they create are major factors in who a child will become. I take that very seriously.

I can't wait to see the girls at the end of the day, snuggle up with them, and tell them the 5 most important words they will hear all day..."daddy's sorry", and "daddy loves you!"

Matt




1 comment:

  1. I can empathize with you. Mornings are always a struggle for me. I love that children are so forgiving & I know it makes my children feel good when I ask them to forgive me. They need to see that we make mistakes, too.
    Thanks for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete