December 24, 2009

Christmas Memories

Growing up I just loved Christmas time! We would go to my grandma & grandpa McKibben's (moms parents) on Christmas eve and be together and unwrap presents and eat a lot. Christmas morning was always at home...I loved that! We would get up really early and wake up mom and dad and have a great time as a family. One of the earliest and best Christmas's was at our house in the country in Albion when my brother and I both got tractors you got in and drove around! We had a yellow one and a red one (I can't remember now which one was which...because we fought over who got what! lol). We drove those things around in the basement a lot! Later on Christmas day we would go to my grandma & grandpa Johnson's (my dads parents) in Fairfield. I love going there because of 1 thing...grandma Johnson's white cake! She made the best!! In fact, I would start at the dessert table after prayer just so I can make sure I got plenty of it!

Now Christmas is a little different. Both of my grandpa's are gone, and my father-in-law is no longer with us. So Christmas is a reminder of get-together's with less special people. I truly miss my grandpa Johnson each year at this time. For some reason, I miss him a little more this year than in years past...maybe because I see my grandma struggle health wise all alone in the nursing home. My grandpa was a great man...one that loved his family, his wife and kids, his children and grandchildren, and His God with all he had!

I also love passing down to the girls the love and passion that God has for us when He sent Jesus to the manger on the way to the cross. We don't put much emphasis on gifts on Christmas day...we really don't even talk about it much. We want to make sure that the focus and emphasis is on Jesus and what all he left (heaven) to be able to give us hope, peace, and joy.

I love Christmas. I love Easter. I love both because it took both events to give me and my family and friends the greatest gift ever...salvation for anyone who accepts, believes, and obeys.

Thank you Jesus!
Merry Christmas, everyone!!

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment